Roasted Forerib of Beef
The beef's quality is of paramount importance. Speak to your local butcher about the source of the beef and the type of animal it comes from. Grass fed free roaming English cattle, such as longhorn, is truly wonderful, and worth every penny.
A côte de beouf is a forerib of beef with the top flap removed and the bones scraped down and cleaned for a more professional presentation. Our preference is for a full forerib as the rib meat is one of the most decadent characters of the roasting joint. This recipe calls for low and slow cooking, allowing all the flavour of the beef to develop and the marbled fat to slowly render away.
Serves 4 | Takes around 4 hours
- A 3-bone best quality forerib of beef, or côte de beouf – approximately 3-3.5kg in weight
- Sublime Butter of your choice
- 6 whole bulbs of garlic, tops cut off but root intact, loose skins removed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 120˚C, 240˚F or Gas Mark ½.
- Use a fairly tight-fitting but deep roasting tray.
- Lay the onions, carrots and garlic bulbs in the bottom of the tray. Those in the know might call this a trivet.
- Generously smear the whole joint in Dijon mustard, and season liberally with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Double foil over the entire joint and roast in the oven for 3-3½ hours or until a temperature probe deep into the joint by the bone reads 55˚C.
- Remove from the oven and turn the oven temperature up to 220˚C.
- Once the oven is at temperature, remove the foil and place the roasting tray back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush the beef with your choice of Sublime Butter. We recommend doing so with reckless abandon.
- Cover loosely in foil to rest for 30 minutes, basting occasionally with the juices from the pan.
- Use the juices from the pan to make a gravy, saving the garlic bulbs to be served alongside the beef.
- Serve in thick, neanderthal slices alongside our own Sublime Roast Potatoes or Sublime Mashed Potatoes; whichever flight of fancy attracts you most.